Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Decor Transformation

I recently transformed my living room from green couches, yellow sponge-painted walls, and grape/purple decor to chocolate couches, light tan walls, and poppy-red, burgundy decor.

Now...what to do with the leftover stuff clogging up my house?!? 

*cream flowers - keep, it still matches - recycle!
*old couches - give to a friend
*leftover flowers - give to sister in-law's church and their wedding ministry
*vase & column - give to inlaws they were the ones that picked them out for my wedding decor anyways.  :)
*art pictures - put in kitchen newly remodeled kitchen.  It matches the light green walls perfectly!

Now that leaves one lonely flower-holder-thingy.  I used it in the dining room to hold some grapes/flowers fo interesting decor, but now what?

I thought about keeping it in the living room and trying my hand at an indoor herb garden on the wall by our one and only window.  But I think I'll leave gardening to the outdoors.

So that still leaves me with an empty hangy-thingy.   Then it hit me - spice rack.

I have a pretty small house and an even smaller kitchen with no real pantry.  Which is sad - no Sam's, Costco's, or BJ's for me - no room for storage!  (although, we plan on building our own storage cabinet for the kitchen.  I'll post when we climb that mountain)

So, 2 cabinets of my 10 or so cabinets (counting doors, by the way) are devoted to food items - my "pantry".  The hubby hates it cause he has to bend over backwards to reach items.  I say not being able to reach things helps cut down the snacking which helps the waist line.  :)  The top shelf of the top cabinet of the "pantry" area is devoted to spices.  Can't.reach.them.  And, it's mainly leftovers of what doesn't fit in the spinning thing on the counter (which we won't go into how little space I have on the counter!

When it hit me to convert my flower thingy to a spice rack, all was well with the world - the hubby was fine with it, it matched our current decor in the kitchen, my mother even liked it, then the kicker - it held all I mean all my spices, including food coloring and sprinkles. 

Joy.  Rapture.

And the base of each shelf was flat so I didn't have to put anything down to create a flat base. 

It looks pretty, its functional, and now I have a bit more room to spread out my "pantry".

What do you do with your old "stuff"?

No comments: