Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Shelving Re-do: the beginning

So I am a part of this wonderful thing called Freecycle through Yahoo Groups.  It.is.awesome.

If you have something you don't want, post it, people come and pick it up for free.  And the reverse!!  You see things people don't want and you can go pick it up.  Again I say, for FREE!

Ok, truth be told:  I"m posting this while watching Lost.  So hard!  But I really want to share what I've started.

A lovely lady decided to give away two wooden cubes and a shelf.  I had never gone and picked anything up from Freecycle, only gotten rid of my "junk".  So I decided to try it out.  I got it!

Well, tonight I had some extra time and took out my new findings.  As I took them out of their lovely boxes, I found a sticker on each one.  What did I use to take them off (fingernails did.not.work.)  I went in my hubby's wallet and took out one of his cards.  One we don't regularly use 'cause the store's too far away (a whopping 3 miles).
So, the card did the trick but there was still a sticky residue.  Usually if something is plastic, I use my handy-dandy Goo Gone, which works wonders, then I wash it with soapy water.  But this was wood, so I just sprayed some (a small squirt!) on a paper towel and it wiped right off.  I then got a damp paper towel to wipe off the oily-ness left.  Worked like a charm.
It was nice out, so I went out and sanded these babies.  With "mahogany stain" dust all over me, I was super glad I was outside.

So that was the 1/2 hour I had free today - beginning the re-do of these freebies.  

What have we learned today - Freecycle is AWESOME!  What is someone's junk is another's treasure - is so true.  AND Goo Gone's orange-y goodness does wonders to sticky messes.

Tomorrow - the painting process!  Always prime, then paint.  I'm without the squirt for a night, so I should get some things accomplished.

1 comment:

Brian and Dara said...

I love it!! It is such a great feeling to take a piece of junk and turn it into something fantastic!! Awesome job!
-Dara