Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Teacher's Creed

It’s amazing. I’ve seen and heard in more places that when you become a teacher, you shouldn’t become the students’ friend. Maybe it’s me. Maybe it’s my style. But the first thing I do is get to know a student and become their friend. Once I am their friend, the world opens before me. I’m able to take them to the next level of learning. I’m able to connect what I’m teaching to their lives. It’s up to you how you connect to your students, but I have learned the more students know about me, and I know about them, the more they are willing to take in what I’m teaching. And isn’t that the goal of a teacher? I’m ready to connect so they’re “ready to learn to get some knowledge” (Finding Nemo, which I’ve seen one too many times with my 3yr old).

No comments: